Modesty is a practice that has been documented in many cultures throughout the world. In Islam, modesty is not just limited to the dress code for men and women but also speech, behavior, and conduct.
The Prophet Mohammad said, Verily, modesty and faith come together. If one of the two is missing, so is the other." (Tirmidhi). It is vital in maintaining good character, but it also shows your seriousness about being a Muslimah.
As mentioned earlier, modesty is not just limited to how you dress up but also how you behave with people and speak to them.
Cover the chest.
The chest is one of the most erogenous zones of a woman. As such, it should be covered to ensure modesty. Women should wear clothing that is not too tight and hides their natural contours. Also, it is important to choose an appropriate neckline and length of sleeves. It's best if the hemline comes below the knee.
Hijab and Jilbab
Let's be clear: hijabs and jilbabs are not the same things.
A hijab is a headscarf covering the head and neck while leaving the face uncovered. A jilbab is an outer garment that covers the entire body. When worn together, a hijab is worn underneath a jilbab, but many women wear hijabs and no other garments when in private or with family members.
Bring a scarf or an abaya if you are going to a mosque.
- Bring a scarf or abaya whenever you are visiting a mosque.
- Always cover your head and shoulders around the mosque.
- It is always good to take a scarf with you when you are traveling as it will help protect you from sunburns and cold weather.
What should you wear in the summer?
Summer is the perfect time to embrace your style and express yourself with fun, bright colors and bold prints. But, to look beautiful and still follow the Islamic dress code, try these modest outfit ideas:
- Wear light dresses or tops made of cotton or linen.
- Pair it with a belt, scarf, cardigan, or jacket, depending on how much coverage you need.
- Wear comfortable shoes like flats or sandals, and avoid showing your feet in public places.
- If you plan to go to the mosque for any religious events, wear a scarf to cover your head.
There's no one-size-fits-all solution for what exactly is considered "modest fashion" for Muslim women. However, there are some guidelines to follow when choosing outfits that keep you stylish while also following Islamic teachings:
- Avoid tight or revealing clothes.
- Avoid exposing your arms and legs.
- Avoid sheer fabrics that reveal too much of your body shape.
- Pay attention to how long hemlines fall on shorts and skirts; if wearing pants, make sure they are loose-fitting instead of tight leggings.
What should you wear in the winter?
So what do you wear in the winter? It's easy to stay covered up when it's cold outside. All you have to do is a layer on an extra piece of clothing or two. Here are some tips:
- Don't forget to cover your neck and shoulders. A long scarf with a hood is a great way to protect yourself from the cold while also covering yourself following Islamic dress code guidelines.
- Wear boots or shoes that completely cover the feet and trousers that extend beyond the ankles.
- Wear a coat that extends below the knees, so your modesty is protected even if your pants ride up as you move around during the day.
- Add a beenie if you want! Or wear a hat instead, depending on where you live and what's culturally appropriate for your area.
- You can use an additional shawl can be used for added warmth and coverage of shoulders and arms.
Try experimenting with different patterns and textures until you find one that suits your needs and preferences!
What should you wear to prayers?
As a Muslim girl, you must make your five daily prayers. During these times of reflection and connection with God, you should dress in a modest fashion covering your Awrah.
In general, when dressing modestly (for prayer or otherwise), it is best to follow the guidance provided by Al-Quran and Hadith.
How do you dress like a Muslimah?
By following the commands of Allah and His Messenger (peace and blessings be upon him). Islam is a religion of moderation. Islam does not encourage either extravagance or asceticism. As a Muslimah, you have to wear clothing that satisfies these principles:
- Cover the head
- Cover the body
- Cover the legs
- Cover the arms
- Cover the feet
Suppose you follow these instructions with sincerity and honesty. In that case, there is no doubt that Allah will forgive your sins and accept your prayers.
Takeaways: How to Dress Modestly As a Muslim Girl?
Modest fashion has come to be recognized as a trend in the fashion industry, with top brands and designers launching modest clothing lines. Many Muslim women have adopted this style, making it part of their identity. More women seek modest clothing because they value comfort and dislike showing too much skin or exposing their body shape. There's no right or wrong way to dress modestly. The important thing is that you feel comfortable in your own skin and clothes.